![]() |
| Associated Press At the beloved grave of Susan B. Anthony, many come to visit and leave meaningful items to remember her. |
Who I Am
My name is Susan B. Anthony, and although many people remember me for fighting for women's voting rights, one of the first causes that shaped my life was the fight to end slavery in America.
I was born on February 15, 1820, in Massachusetts and raised in a Quaker family. My parents taught me that every person was equal and deserved respect. Those lessons stayed with me as I watched millions of African Americans live without freedom.
From a young age, I believed that slavery contradicted the values America claimed to stand for.
Learn more about my background here.
Why I Joined the Abolitionist Movement
As I grew older, I became increasingly troubled by slavery and the history of abolition.
How could a nation built on liberty allow men, women, and children to be owned as property? How could families be separated and basic human rights be denied?
I could not ignore those questions.
During the 1840s and 1850s, I joined the abolitionist movement because I believed slavery was morally wrong and had to be abolished. My goal was simple: freedom for every person, regardless of race.
Meeting Frederick Douglass
One of the most important people I worked alongside was Frederick Douglass.
![]() |
| Frederick Douglass |
Douglass had escaped slavery and become one of the most powerful abolitionist speakers in the nation. His personal story gave Americans a firsthand view of slavery's cruelty.
When I heard him speak, I saw not only a great orator but also a man determined to ensure that others would never experience what he had endured.
We became friends and allies in the struggle for equality.
Although we sometimes disagreed about political issues after the Civil War, we stood together in the fight against slavery. We attended conventions, spoke at reform meetings, and worked to convince Americans that freedom belonged to everyone.
The Actions I Took
Many people know Harriet Tubman for helping enslaved people escape through the Underground Railroad. My role was different.
I fought slavery through organization, speeches, petitions, and public activism.
In 1856, I became an agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society. I traveled throughout New York distributing anti-slavery literature, organizing meetings, and collecting signatures on petitions demanding an end to slavery.
At many meetings, abolitionists faced hostility and criticism. Some people believed women should not speak publicly about political issues.
I refused to remain silent.
I believed that if ordinary citizens spoke out together, change was possible.
More information about my anti-slavery work can be found through the Susan B. Anthony House & Museum.
My Words on Equality and Justice
Throughout my life, I spoke openly about equality.
![]() |
| Susan B. Anthony |
One of my most famous statements was:
"Failure is impossible."
Those words reflected my attitude toward abolition. Progress was often slow, but I believed giving up would only allow injustice to continue.
Another quote often associated with my fight for equal rights is:
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Although this quote focused on women, it reflected a broader principle that guided my life: every person deserved the opportunity to control their own future.
More of my speeches and writings can be found here and here.
Helping End Slavery During the Civil War
When the Civil War began in 1861, abolitionists saw an opportunity to permanently destroy slavery.
Together with Elizabeth Cady Stanton, I helped organize the Women's Loyal National League.
The organization launched one of the largest petition drives in American history.
We collected nearly 400,000 signatures supporting a constitutional amendment to end slavery forever.
Those petitions demonstrated that many Americans wanted slavery abolished and helped build support for change.
Finally, in 1865, the 13th Amendment was ratified, officially ending slavery in the United States.
For me, it was one of the greatest victories of my lifetime.
How the Abolition Movement Changed Me
My years fighting slavery transformed me.
I learned how to organize campaigns, persuade citizens, challenge injustice, and build coalitions. Those experiences prepared me for my later work in the women's suffrage movement.
The abolition movement taught me that meaningful change rarely happens quickly. It requires courage, persistence, and thousands of people working together toward a common goal.
My Legacy
No single person abolished slavery.
Frederick Douglass inspired Americans through his powerful story. Harriet Tubman risked her life helping others escape bondage. Countless abolitionists signed petitions, organized meetings, and demanded action.
I am proud to have stood beside them.
The abolition of slavery proved that citizens can challenge injustice and make their nation better. It also reminded future generations that freedom and equality are worth fighting for.
That is the lesson I hope people remember from my life.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
AI Disclosure: AI was used for almost all of the writing in this blog post. I gave the ideas for a description and overview of Susan B. Anthony to Microsoft Copilot Pro that covered her background, goals, achievements, quotes, and more. I did outside research myself, along with finding images from Google that corresponded with specific segments of the post.

_(cropped).jpg)
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment